AmCham Taipei & ECCT Joint Chambers Luncheon
AmCham Sustainable Development Committee Luncheon
As a founding member of the United Nations Global Compact, Covestro is one of the companies seeking to modify its operations and strategies to meet the ten universally-accepted principles in the areas of human rights, labour, the environment and anti-corruption. Since 1994 Covestro has also supported the voluntary Responsible Care initiative of the chemical industry, according to which companies work together to continuously improve their health, safety and environmental performance.
Covestro’s Supplier Code of Conduct sets forth key social, ecological and ethical standards that Covestro expects its suppliers to share. The Supplier Code of Conduct is based on the ten principles of the UN Global Compact, derived from: the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the International Labour Organization’s Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work, the Rio Declaration on Environment and Development, and the United Nations Convention Against Corruption.
Among other topics, our guest speaker will cover the following in his presentation:
• An overview of Covestro’s sustainability targets and obligations for its suppliers
• An introduction to the Young Champions of the Earth programme (with the United Nations)
• The company’s science education programmes, based on local needs, targeting science education for girls in India and hearing-impaired students in Taiwan, and science camps for grandparents and grandchildren
• The solar challenge project with university students
• Covestro’s environmentally-friendly solutions and technology, such as CO2 based plastics, bio-aniline and other energy-saving solutions
ABOUT THE SPEAKER:
Dr Christian Haessler
Global Head of Sustainability of Covestro
Dr Christian Haessler has been Global Head of Sustainability of Covestro since June 2018. He started his career in the Bayer Laboratory in Krefeld, Germany in 1994, leading a photovoltaics R&D laboratory. He later took up various roles overseeing product management, business development and business strategies within the Business Unit Polycarbonates in Germany and China. He was VP Asia Pacific with responsibilities for R&D, marketing and sales based in Singapore before he returned to China to take over the responsibility for Covestro’s global R&D hub in Shanghai. From 2013 until his appointment as Global Head of Sustainability, he was Head of Innovation for Covestro in the Asia Pacific region as well as Head of the Polymer Research and Development Center. He holds a master’s degree in physics from University of Erlangen, Germany and a PhD in physics with an emphasis in photovoltaics and semiconductors from the University of Erlangen.
Contact Person: Mia Shih (02) 2718-8226 ext. 311 / firstname.lastname@example.org