The American Institute of Taiwan (AIT) and AmCham Taipei co-hosted U.S.-Taiwan International Patient Day at the AmCham Taipei Lincoln Room on May 24. The goal of the International Patient Day is for foreign government regulators and high-level officials to see the personal impact U.S. medical technology has on the Taiwan population.
The event featured presentations by local doctors and medical experts on how U.S. medical technologies are being used to ease suffering for patients, while increasing the probability of full-recovery and reducing mortality in Taiwan. Patients were also in attendance at the event to share their personal stories and experiences on how U.S. medical technologies have helped to improve their lives during the treatment and recovery. U.S. technologies that were highlighted include: 1) advanced hemodynamic monitoring for major burn victims; 2) transcatheter aortic valve replacement surgery (TAVR); 3) insulin pump therapy for diabetic patients; and 4) closures for left atrial appendage. Representatives from Cigna also introduced their healthcare platform to help consumers manage their health and engage with care systems via mobile app.
Attendees to the U.S.-Taiwan International Patient Day included Tsung-Hsi Wang (王宗曦), Secretary General, Ministry of Health and Welfare (MOHW), Cheng-Hua Lee (李丞華), Deputy Director General, National Health Insurance Administration, MOHW, Mao-Ting Sheen (沈茂庭), Chief Secretary, National Health Insurance Administration, MOHW, and other officials from healthcare and medical related divisions.
Special thanks to the doctors and specialists who presented and shared their medical expertise:
- Chia-Shen Yang, Chief, Burn Center and Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery at Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital
楊家森醫師 – 高雄長庚燒燙傷中心主任、高雄長庚醫院整形外科醫師
- Wei-Hsien Yin, Cardiologist, Chief, Division of Cardiology, Heart Centre at Cheng Hsin General Hospital
殷偉賢醫師 – 振興醫院心臟醫學中心 心臟血管內科主任
- Chia-Hung Lin, Attending physician, Division of Metabolism and Endocrinology at Taoyuan Chang Gung Memorial Hospital
林嘉鴻醫師 – 桃園長庚醫院新陳代謝科主治醫師
- Amy Lee, VP of Operations at Cigna Taiwan
李映慧 – 康健人壽資深副總
- Sandy Chen, Chief Operation Officer at Cigna Taiwan
陳立琳 – 康健人壽營運長
- Chia-Ti Tsai, Attending Physician in Cardiology, National Taiwan University Hospital
Professor of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University
蔡佳醍 醫師 – 台大心臟內科部主治醫師、國立台灣大學醫學院內科專任教授