An AmCham Taipei delegation led by Chairman Dan Silver met with Premier-designate Lin Chuan on April 8 to brief him on some issues impacting the business environment in Taiwan. Lin was accompanied by Dr. Shih Jun-Ji, who will serve in the new government as one of the Ministers without Portfolio.
The discussion covered the following issues:
- Suggested revision of the Administrative Procedure Act to create greater transparency and consultation with stakeholders in the regulation-making process. Examples of recent problems in the retail sector were cited.
- The need for a more transparent and predictable foreign investment approval process.
- Ideas for making Taiwan more competitive in attracting and retaining talent. These include creating reviewing the current income tax structure, revising work permit and visa requirements, and allowing for more flexible rules on working hours for white-collar workers.
- The need to assure a stable and cost-competitive energy supply for Taiwan industry
“We were honored to have the chance to meet with the prospective new Premier even before his taking office. Dr. Lin was already familiar with many of our issues from reading our Taiwan White Paper, but it was an excellent opportunity to offer further explanation. We look forward to frequent and positive interaction with the new government in the months ahead.” — AmCham Taipei President Andrea Wu
The delegation consisted of:
- AmCham Taipei Chairman Dan Silver, General Manager of Abbott Vascular Hong Kong & Taiwan
- Andrea Wu, AmCham Taipei President.
- Daniel Tseng, AmCham Taipei Vice Chairman and President of Corning Display Technologies Taiwan.
- Paul Cassingham, Former Chairman of AmCham Taipei and Senior Legal Consultant, Eiger.
- Vincent Shih, AmCham Taipei Governor and General Manager of Corporate, External, and Legal Affairs, Microsoft Taiwan.
- Wern-Yuen Tan, Managing Director, McDonald’s Restaurants (Taiwan)
- Don Shapiro, AmCham Taipei Senior Director and Editor-in-Chief, Taiwan Business TOPICS
- Katrina Ku, AmCham Taipei Director of Government and Public Affairs